Sunday, January 10, 2010

2010, The Year of Races

This week besides trying recipes from the cookbook, I'm getting geared up for a 5k snowshoe race this Saturday up at Soldier Hollow. It's the inaugural race of my year of races. Maybe I should give a quick background on my year of races...
So, last fall I started jogging just to mix up my workout routine. Once I settled into it, I found that I actually enjoyed it. I pretty much stopped going to the gym and just jog. Mica gave me a book called Born to Run that got me all interested in running so I started reading running magazines etc. Well, one of the articles I read challenged the reader to compete in every kind of race in one year.
I liked the idea of the article, but I'm still very much a novice. I am a jogger not a runner. So I took the list and cut out the scariest of the races and made my own list.
Thus begins 2010, the Year of the Races. I got online and found one of each type of race in Utah. It begins with the Snowshoe 5k this weekend. This will be interesting considering I have been snowshoeing once this winter and have tendinitis. The beauty of this plan is I don't plan on competing in any of these races I'm just participating. So when I walk the entire snowshoe 5k I'm still gonna be proud.
The next race is a 5k on St. Paddy's Day. Yes I purposefully looked for a St Paddy's Day Race because it is the coolest day of the year. I'm already planning on taking work off so why not run a race that morning. It's starts at McCool's at the District if anyone is interested in joining.
Race # 3 is a 10k on Memorial Day in Orem. As in every race I list if any of you are interested, I am more than happy for some company.
The last two races do actually have me pretty dang nervous. In June I am participating in the Wasatch Back. It's a 24 hour road relay that goes from Logan to Park City. There's 12 runner's to each team and you run 3 legs each. I have claimed the shortest distance, but it is still over 12 miles but it's broken down into 3 legs over a 24 hour period. This one just freaks me out because I'll be part of a team, not just joggin for myself. It should be pretty cool when it's over though.
The final race of the year will be the half marathon in October. this one also has me nervous. It's 13.1 miles. I ran 7.5 the other day(on accident) and it about did me in. I was broken for a day or two. I guess that's why I'm starting training now.
Anyway, that is my year of races. and if any of you are interested in joining please let me know. I would love to have company. I'll let you know how the showshoeing goes this weekend. I've never even seen one, so I just hope I am not the only one walking the whole thing.

4 comments:

Becky said...

That is so awesome. I'm very impressed. I would love to be able to run in a race one day. I'm not sure if I could do much especially this year. Hmm... maybe I should try to do something and stop blaming my lack of exercise on my heart beating just to darn fast at the moment. That should stop soon anyway so hmmm. You've got me thinking.

Suzie LeCheminant said...

HOORAY! You're back :)
You are a motivated lady! Now I know why you are so skinny.
I want to run a 5k this year, but I am thinking I will do the SL marathon one....want to join me? It's in April sometime. St. Paddy's sounds fun, but my kids need me at school to pinch them. I'm not committing toward any other crazy race but I can't wait to hear about yours.

Kajirsten said...

Sue I would be very interested in doing the SLC 5k with you. Keep me posted.

Gregg Sorensen Family said...

I am blog stocking you and I love to see what you are up to. My friends in my ward are wanting me to do the Wasatch Back Relay as well. I am too chicken. Good luck!