Sunday, January 17, 2010

BASH 5k Snowshoe Run

So my first race of the year went great. It was actually super chill. Jana and Vinny also participated and Roche came to watch, so we had a lot of fun. We met some pretty cool peeps while we were checking in before the race. It was the first time the race had been held, so everyone there was a little unsure of what to expect. It was kind of funny because we had taken a ton of stuff( different shirts, gloves, snow pants, etc.) with us, because we weren't sure what we would end up wanting. Turns out, we weren't the only ones. There were a bunch of us in the parking lot trying to make final decisions on what to wear/take.
Most people were just there to be apart of it, so there were plenty who walked the whole way. We jogged at the beginning and every now and then through out the race. Some dude sprinted it in under 16 minutes(I can't run that fast WITHOUT snowshoes). There were probably around 50 people totally and about every level.
I had forgotten how much you have to push off your toes snowshoeing. It actually ended up bugging my ankle more than I expected, so I walked most of it. Jana jogged along side of Vinny and i and then ran the last mile. Vinny and I ran the last of it with the intent to bat these two old dudes who we had been going back and forth with. They would pass us, then we would pass them... through the whole thing. In the end they ran too and beat us, but it was still TONS of fun! I seriously am already excited to do it again next year.
After the race, Jana and I had seen this little cafe in Heber we wanted to try so we headed back there for dinner . On the way we passed a Mexican restaurant called Tarrahumara. For those of you who a read Born to Run, or those who have heard me talk about it, you may understand why Jana and I got excited. The book is about a tribe in the Coral Canyons of Chihuahua, Mexico. They are these crazy runners that are supposed to be faster than any Kenyans or whatever.
The book is really good and even if you have no interest in running I recommend it. My whole fam has read it except for Nate(and for those of you who know Marlin may realize how impressive that is). Anyway, so we ate dinner there. The dud who owned it was working, so we talked to him, about the book. He had heard of it, but had never read it. It was really cool though, because reading the book, even though they say it's true, you still finish it feeling like it is more fiction than non. This restaurant had all these pics and info that matches the book though, so Jana and I got really excited. We even had to have our pic taken by the sign because we are that dorky.
All in all, great day!!

No comments: